Agriculture & Horticulture
Introduction to Agriculture & Horticulture
Prepare for a career in the primary industries and achieve NCEA Level 2.
If you are a 16-19 year old* & feel that school isn’t right for you, then check out this option!
After completion of this course you will be able to:
- Assist with the handling and treatment of livestock
- Identify, install & dismantle temporary fences
- Demonstrate knowledge of farm dairy design and the effluent system
- Monitor and interpret weather information
- Harvest a horticulture crop by hand under supervision
- Locate hazards, describe safety procedures and demonstrate safe work practices in a rural workplace
- Demonstrate knowledge of the safe operation of a quad bike
Our farming site is a 40 ha farm located in Mosgiel - with up to date machinery & amenities. As well as completing the industry recognised pre-trades qualification you can expect to develop life and employability skills to make you more attractive to any potential employer. You will also have the opportunity to gain workplace experience from a work placement in the farming sector. Plus, we like every student to leave with a drivers licence (which we pay for) to make you more employable once you have completed the course.
Literacy & numeracy can be a stumbling block for many learners and that’s why all of our courses include support & assistance in reading, writing & numbers - relevant to your training.
26 Weeks, Monday – Friday 9.00am – 3.15pm
14 Bridgman Street, Dunedin & Stockdale Farm, Mosgiel
NCEA Level 2
Courses start all year round. Please contact Dunedin Training Centre for further details.
*Course Fees & Eligibility
FREE for 16-19 year olds. To participate in this course & qualify for fees-free-training under the Youth Guarantee initiative, students must:
- be 16-19 years of age at the start of enrolment
- be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency
- be prepared to study full time in level 1-3 programmes
- not be enrolled in school or a Youth Guarantee programme simultaneously