Construction & Infrastructure
Introduction to the Building & Construction Industry
Prepare for a career in the building, construction & allied trades industries and achieve NCEA Level 2.
If you are a 16-19 year old* & feel that school isn’t right for you, then check out this option!
After completion of this course you will be able to:
- Construct & maintain a residential fence
- Maintain & use hand tools & portable power tools safely
- Used fixed machinery under supervision
- Plan & construct a cupboard
- Demonstrate health & safety practises in a work environment
- Lay paving blocks
- Read & interpret plans & specifications for a timber project
As well as completing the industry recognised pre-trades qualification you can expect to develop life and employability skills to make you more attractive to any potential employer. You will also have the opportunity to gain workplace experience from a work placement in the building industry. Plus, we like every student to leave with a drivers licence (which we pay for) to make you more employable once you have completed the course.
Literacy & numeracy can be a stumbling block for many learners and that’s why all of our courses include support & assistance in reading, writing & numbers - relevant to your training.
26 Weeks, Monday – Friday 9.00am – 3.15pm
14 Bridgman Street, Dunedin
NCEA Level 2
Courses start all year round. Please contact DTC for further details.
*Course Fees & Eligibility
FREE for 16-19 year olds. To participate in this course & qualify for fees-free training under the Youth Guarantee initiative, students must:
- be 16-19 years of age at the start of enrolment
- be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency
- be prepared to study full time in level 1-3 programmes
- not be enrolled in school or a Youth Guarantee programme simultaneously